legal documents

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

legal documents

I have court ordered papers
stating I have to take my son 1200
miles every Christmas break and
every summer to visit his dad. I
have to take time off work in
order to do so. My new manager
told me she needed a copy of my
personal legal documents to keep
on file. Can she legally make me
give her my personal information?
I live in North Dakota.

Asked on November 20, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, North Dakota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, she can do this. The law does NOT give employees the right to miss work because of custody arrangements--that is your concern, not the employer's issue. Since they do not simply have to give you this time, if they are choosing to allow you to have it, they may put restrictions on doing so, such as having a copy of your legal papers. 
(The exception to the above would be if you have sufficent earned/accrued PTO for the absences and use that PTO for them--if you are using earned vacation time otherwise in accordance with company policy [e.g. if there is a policy about how much notice of vacation you must provide, you are complying with it] then what, where, and why you are going is not your employer's concern. It's only their concern if you are are asking for any non-PTO time.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption