Is there somewhereI can go to get help or legal aid for my divorce?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there somewhereI can go to get help or legal aid for my divorce?

I am a stay-at-home mom currently trying to find a job. The situation has gotten bad with arguing and both of us just being done with the marriage. However he will not be the one to file, as his mother has told him it would be a stronger case against me for him to get the kids.

Asked on August 19, 2011 Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  It must be a very trying time for you now.  Try to be as calm as you can for the benefit of the kids. Yes, there are various services in the Pennsylvania are that offer legal support to those without income.  You did not state in which part of Pennsylvania you reside or which county so I am going to give you some links here that are general and some that are specific.  You can also check local Bar Associations for pro bono services and law schools for clinics.  The statement about the kids seems to be antiquated.  Good luck to you.

First, for legal aid try here:

For Southwest Pennsylvania try here:

And from the following: 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption