What are my legal rights if I was left alone in a busy gas station/convenience store for 15 hours but no way to leave?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my legal rights if I was left alone in a busy gas station/convenience store for 15 hours but no way to leave?

I started my shift at 2 p.m. and was immediately left by myself it is a fairly large and busy place It was known to my manager and co-workers that no one would help me cover my shift. When it was my

scheduled time to leave, I called my manager and informed him the night shift person had not showed up yet. He kept saying he was on his way he was not and I was forced to stay until 4 a.m.

Asked on August 22, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You only right is to be paid appropriately: i.e. for all hours worked--straight pay for the first 8 hours; time-and-a-half for all time from 8 hours to 12 hours; and double time for all time from 12 hours on. In this case, since you were there 14 hours, that's 8 hours of straight or base pay, 4 hours time-and-half, and 2 hours double time. If not paid appropriate, you can contact your state department of labor to file a wage and hour complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption