Who do I pay my rent to if my landlord is trying to fire the property management company?

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who do I pay my rent to if my landlord is trying to fire the property management company?

I am currently a tenant. The owner of this house has been trying to get rid of the current property management company for over a month now. I have a written letter mailed to me by the owner indicating a change in who I make the monthly payments to, specifically to her LLC and no longer to the property company. The property management company, however, is telling me that I am in violation of the lease (and late payments, etc.) if I do not make the check out to their company. Who do I make the check out to – the homeowner or the property management company?

Asked on April 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Whom does the lease indicate you should pay? If the lease specifically says to pay the landlord, pay the landlord; if it specifically says to pay the management company, pay the management company.

Of the lease does not in so many words state to whom you send the check, with whom is the lease made? In the absence of any other direction, you'd pay the party who leased to you. If it's the landlord who is the other party to the lease and who made the lease with you, pay the landlord; if it's the property manager, pay the property manager.

The lease is a contract; your obligation is to honor the terms of the contract. You should make sure that you document all payments, including proof of payment (e.g. keep copies of cancelled checks, money order receipts, etc.--and do not pay by cash).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption