What are my rights regarding lead paint in a recently purchased home which has resulted in lead poisoning?

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding lead paint in a recently purchased home which has resulted in lead poisoning?

About 9 months ago I moved into a home in a lease-purchase term. Shortly after moving here, my daughter and I started getting sick; my cats started getting very sick (4 passed, 2 very ill). My daughter’s boyfriend started getting sick. We all puzzled over the “mystery illness” killing my cats and making us sick. Last weekend, I discovered that there is lead paint on the window sills, which we keep open. What is my course of action? What type of attoreny should I speak with?

Asked on March 26, 2012 under Personal Injury, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you purchased a home without receipt of a lead based paint disclosure before close of escrow you may have legal recourse against the lisitng brokerge/agent, sellers and the selling brokerage and agent for any and all damages that you have suffered.

With that being said, the best type of attorney to assist you in your matter would be one that practices in the area of real estate and personal injury law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption