What to do if a lawyer said he is going to sue me next week because I sent a letter asking for verification and did not accept his payment plan?

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a lawyer said he is going to sue me next week because I sent a letter asking for verification and did not accept his payment plan?

My debt is for $1867 and he wanted me to pay $233 a week to pay it off. When I asked for a different plan, he refused. When I told him that I sent a certified letter asking for verification, he told me that he would be sueing me. Although seemingly minute, when I speak with him on the phone he never gives the “this is an attempt to collect a debt” saying. Is this legal? What are my next steps? Can an attorney help me handle this so I do not get sued and can make a reasonable payment plan?

Asked on April 10, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

This guy is playing with fire and his legal license.  First, familiarize yoursef with the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act and in particular the part that deals with attorneys. Next, you took a great step in requesting verification which he has to provide under the law, but call it "validation" of the debt.  He has to provde a whole slew of stuff there.  next, report him to the state attorney general's office for failure to comply with the FDCPA and you can surely threaten a complaint to the state Grievance Commitee that monitors attorneys.  It is the last card you hold.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption