If a lawyer for creditor put the wrong name on stipulation form, do I still have to pay?

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a lawyer for creditor put the wrong name on stipulation form, do I still have to pay?

Recently went to court for a debt collection. After meeting with the lawyer for the creditor, I agreed to a payment plan. After the judge signed the stipulation form, I left. While driving home I noticed that the name on the stipulation form is not my name. Do I still have to pay or can I get out of this debt because of this error?

Asked on March 3, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Rhode Island


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the agreement was not read on the record and the stipulation that you received was not signed by you, then possibly you can get out of the agreement. However, if the name on the stipulation is not yours, but you signed the document, then under the law of all states in this country, you are obligated under the stipulation concerning the agreed payment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption