What is my recourse if my lawyer filed the wrong divorce decree?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my recourse if my lawyer filed the wrong divorce decree?

My ex-wife was awarded the home. She had no intentions of making payments and could not assume loan into her name. I requested that the divorce decree be revised to state that if she wouldn’t make payments for 3 months, the home would be awarded back to me. The revised decree was signed by my ex-wife and I. However, my lawyer filed the original version of the of decree by mistake. Then, 8 months and 8 mortgage payments (made by me) later, I put the home up for sale. At the time of closing it was discovered that the decree was not changed and so ex had to sign off on the sale and would collect any and all financial gain.

Asked on May 30, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The attorney should fix the mistake.  The mistake can be fixed by the entry of a nunc pro tunc order since this order was mistakenly entered.  If the court's won't accept the nunc pro tunc, then you can make an application for a special bill of review because of the circumstances. 
Since the attorney was the one who made the mistake, the attorney really should be the one to fix it.  If they cannot or will not, consider filing a claim on the attorney's malpractice insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption