What will happen if I was involved in a 3 car car accident tor which I was not at fault?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I was involved in a 3 car car accident tor which I was not at fault?

My husband and 2 girls were with me but no one was hurt; they were just very frightened to the point of tears. The police were called and I was found not at fault so he said I was free to go. A few days later I was called by their insurance company about what happened and I answered all their questions. I have no car and now I have to pay for 20% of my damages. What would I have to do now? This is my 1st accident and it happened a week ago.

Asked on April 11, 2015 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If one of the other two drivers was at fault in causing the accident (e.g. driving carelessly or negligently), you could sue them for any amounts you've had to pay out of pocket (i.e. that 20% figure you mention). However, another driver would only be liable if at fault; if no one was at fault (the accident just happened without anyone being careless), then each driver has to pay his/her own out-of-pocket (not paid by insurance) costs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption