What should I do if last night I was charged with 3 summons for burglary, criminal mischief and simple assault?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if last night I was charged with 3 summons for burglary, criminal mischief and simple assault?

I had a falling out with my ex-girlfriend and I was intoxicated. I walked to her house because she was tormenting me and I got very upset and broke a vase outside her house; then I broke her window and fell in. I did not hit her although I was charged with simple assault. Lately, I have had some anxiety and depression issues and it all boiled up and turned into something I now regret. I never committed a crime and I don’t have money for a lawyer. I need help in what areas to plead guilty and if its a bad idea to represent myself.

Asked on October 27, 2013 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Given the fact that you are charged with a criminal matter and do not have the money for provate legal counsel, I suggest that you go to the public defender's office in the county where the charges has been filed to see if you qualify for legal services from that office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption