What to do if last night I received a slip in my door saying to call the sheriff’s office in regards to a civil process?

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 26, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if last night I received a slip in my door saying to call the sheriff’s office in regards to a civil process?

I gave them a call and the undersheriff showed up with papers regarding returned checks, however, the lawsuit was the state vs. myself, meaning it’s a criminal matter. With these checks I thought I had the issue worked out with the person they were issued to, and was trying to come up with the funds, however my disability check doesn’t even meet the bills. The bad checks were completely unintended. Then vocational rehab has yet to assist me on bills for an emergency as they promised, so I was never able to pay the checks. I am unsure if I am able to file a counterclaim as the state’s failure to follow through is a major cause.

Asked on March 26, 2013 under Criminal Law, Kansas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am not sure what the underlying claim is but generally in a criminal matter. passing bad checks is a criminal matter if you knew or should have known when you wrote them and presented them that they would not clear...it is an intent crime. You may need to seek the assistance of legal aid (you should probably qualify) to help you negotiate with the prosecutor's office about payments and dropping this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption