What to do if my landrod lost my lease and wants me to sign a new one?

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my landrod lost my lease and wants me to sign a new one?

I have asked for a copy of my lease since before I moved in 5 months ago. They have dragged their feet on every issue and until I withheld rent they would not answer my phone calls. Now they told me that they lost the singular copy of my lease.

Asked on April 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You should read the lease very carefully before signing to be certain that the terms are what you had agreed to under your original lease.  Since you never received a copy of your original lease, if you don't remember the exact terms or have any questions about anything in the new version of your lease, be sure to raise the issues and have any questions answered to your satisfaction before signing because once you sign you will be liable for the terms, conditions, provisions, etc. in the lease.  Since the landlord has lost the only copy of your original lease, it is possible that there may be mistakes in the current version of the lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption