What to do if a landlord wants to charge me for the cost of new carpet if my dad died after 17 years as a tenant?

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a landlord wants to charge me for the cost of new carpet if my dad died after 17 years as a tenant?

My dad did have cats,which violated the lease but the carpet is still 17 years old.

Asked on October 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, South Dakota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A tenant cannot be charged for ordinary wear and tear to a carpet. And from the sound of things, this is the carpet that was in the unit when your father moved in 17 years ago. That having been said, to the extent that a tenant (or their pets) caused additional damage, then they would be liable for the cost of a replacement carpet. Again however, after all of these years it will be hard for the landlord to make such a claim and charge you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption