What to do if car was towed by landlord?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if car was towed by landlord?

I was renting from my landlord for over 2 years when I gave him notice that I was moving. I told him that I had someone who wanted to move in. I asked my good friend who was the new tenant (he signed the least and everything) if I could leave my sports car there until I found the spare key and get a new tire. He said no problem and I got it in writing. 3 weeks later a buddy called me and said the car was gone. I called the landlord and he said that he had towed it and gave it away. I need my car back. He said that I had to pay $350 for the tow. Can I sue him?

Asked on October 28, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

What would you be suing for? Your friend may have given you permission to park there, BUT--

1) Could he give permission for a nontenant to park overnight? If that's not allowed at all, it doesn't matter what your friend said.

2) Even if the friend could give permission, was he required to do anything to make it happen? I.e. should he have notified the landlord's office; did he need to get some kind of temporary permit; etc.

In short, to sue the landlord, you'd need to show that the landlord did something wrong. But if under the circumstances of this matter, thel landlord could tow a non-tenant car, then the landlord did not do anything wrong, and therefore would not be liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption