If our landlord signed a quitclaim deed, is he still the legal landlord?

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If our landlord signed a quitclaim deed, is he still the legal landlord?

We signed a lease 3 months ago but the “bank” sent out people to take pictures of the outside of the house with no notice twice in 2 months. We tried to find out if it was in foreclosure and found out that our landlord had signed a quitclaim deed to another guy 3 years ago. We have no knowledge of who this guy is and/or the mortgage company. Our landlord refuses to tell us. Is our lease null and void now? What do we do?

Asked on June 3, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your "landlord" does not technically own the property then he can not enter in to a valid lease agreement for the premises.  He has no standing to contract - and a lease is a contract - so I would say yes, the lease is invalid or void. What you do now really depends on what you want to do.  I would seek consultation from an attorney in your area.  If you do not pay rent then technically you are trespassing - like squatters here - and you can be evicted by the rightful owner (who, may I say, should be really kind of annoyed by all of these goings on).  But you may not have an obligation to pay rent at this point in time.  You know you can find put the actual owner by going down to the county clerk's office and looking up the deed.  I think, though, it may be best to find another place to live.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption