Landlord owes me a brokers fee

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Landlord owes me a brokers fee

I rented an apt to my client where the Bldg
adverized they will pay me a one months fee
and said I will receive it within 2 months client
moving in which was 4/27/18
Im still waiting and they keep saying sorry they
had computer glitches or accounting confirmed
its coming in the weeks to come
I gave them an invoice as well as have emails
as proof they acknowledge they owe me
What can I do ?
I want to be paid already and at this point for
additional damages if possible

Asked on July 4, 2018 under Business Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You sue them--that's how you get money when someone owes you payment but won't voluntarily make it. You would sue for "breach of contract": that is, for violating the agreement under which you would bring them a tenant and they would pay you the fee. You can only recover what they owe you under the agreement (i..e the 1 month's commission or fee), unless you had a written agreement which provided for additional payments (or, say, attorney's fees) in a case like this. In breach of contract casses, you are limited to what you are owed under the contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption