Landlord is selling the condo I rent

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Landlord is selling the condo I rent

I have a 12 month lease for my condo. My landlord is selling it through a
different agent than the one I rent from. I’ve only lived here 4 months. My lease
states nothing about having to allow my condo to be shown to buyers. Do I have to
allow agents to show my condo while I still live here?

Asked on October 27, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It doesn't matter whether the lease says this: the law says that a landlord has the right to access a tenant's apartment/condo/home to show the property for sale. (After all, it is the landlord's property, and he has the right to sell it.) He must provide written notice (emails or text messages are acceptable) of at least 24 hours to do so; must only do so at reasonable times; and can't require you to leave for the showing (i.e. you have the right to remain in the home, so long as you do not interfere with the showing or marketing).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption