What to do if my andlord has not given my a copy of our lease agreement?

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my andlord has not given my a copy of our lease agreement?

Because of the remote location of my apartment I would like to be able to prove that i live here to get a PO box with a local address.

Asked on October 23, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your landlord is required to give you a copy of the lease upon signature and turning over the keys. If your landlord has not done so, make sure you request in writing and verbally one more time. If still no immediate dice, contact your state consumer protection agency and indicate this is what is occurring and you are concerned the tenancy is not legal. Further, you want to make sure that should you decide to move out and get back your deposit, that you have a legally enforceable contract to show in conjunction with your deposit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption