If my landlord died and ur rental house went back to the bank but we have not been contacted by anyone, can they just kick us out?

UPDATED: May 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my landlord died and ur rental house went back to the bank but we have not been contacted by anyone, can they just kick us out?

We have been renting for over 12 years. Our utilities were included in rent. Our landlord died and his kids wanted nothing to do with the house, so it went into forclosure. No one has contacted us. I found a piece of paper scotched taped to the front door of our landlord’s apartment saying the house is going into foreclosure and towards the bottom, it said if you are renting call this number. I called and had to leave a message. They have never contacted us. Is this paper legal or do they need to communicate with us directly since we live there?

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If you are on a month to monthlease with respect to the now foreclosed upon property, under 2010 federal law, so long as you are current in your rent, the new property owner is required to give you at least 90 days written notice if you are to have your lease ended for the rental.

If you have a term remaining on your lease, the new landlord is required to let you end the term of the lease because ending your lease so long as you are current on your rental payments.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption