Labor done for an attorney who also owns a farming business who did not pay for services rendered.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Labor done for an attorney who also owns a farming business who did not pay for services rendered.

My husband was doing work for this lawyer on some semi-trailers for his farming business. My husband called him and told him that the trailer needed more work than was expected which took 4 weeks and more material to fix. The lawyer agreed that the work needed to be done. Well, when it came time to pay, the lawyer was given the bill and he said he would not pay for the :extra work that needed to be done

Asked on September 15, 2017 under Business Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Do not post anything on social media: 1) it will not help you get your money back; 2) if he sues you for defamation, you'd have to prove that everything you said is true to rebut his case--which may be difficult if you don't have written documentation.
Do sue him--even if he's a lawyer, this is a straightforward case: if you can convince the court that he approved the work, he has to pay. If your husband acts as his own attorney, he will be risking very little--just the filing fee, and some of his own time--to bring the case. Even if the lawyer has an advantage since he is an attorney, if your husband makes a credible witness and has at least some documentation (e.g. receipts for materials or supplies), assume he has at least a 20% or more chance of winning: isn't it worth a $200 or so filing fee and some time for a chance of getting $10,000?
Your husband could also "waive" or give up claims to anything over the small claims court limit, sue for just up to the maximum limit, and keep it in small claims, which is a very "friendly" and relatively easy way to bring cases for non-lawyers. While giving up some of the claim, this will enhance his chance of winning at least some of the money back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption