Just because I’m on disibility does that mean I can’t get guardianship of my grandson?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Just because I’m on disibility does that mean I can’t get guardianship of my grandson?

My daughter passed away. And I
don’t have money to pay a
lawyer. So I’m just taking my
evidence to the judge that
explains why the man my
grandson lives with is not
suitable place for him.

Asked on March 21, 2018 under Family Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Being on disability does not automatically mean that you cannot get guardianship. I work in landlord-tenant law with public housing tenants, many of whom are on disability--and many of whom have guardianship over grandchildren, nieces, nephews, etc. While your physical and mental condition (i.e. the reason you are on disability) and what you can and cannot do, and the amount and source of your income, are factors that will be considered, they are not automatic disqualifiers. The court will look at the whole picture and decide what is in the child's best interest.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption