What happens if a wedding venue mistakenly drops your wedding from its calendar?

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if a wedding venue mistakenly drops your wedding from its calendar?

My wedding is supposed to be in about 4 months on the 21st.. I set up a contract with a venue and since then the place has been sold and is now under new ownership. The former owner was supposed to give the new owners all the dates, unfortunately mine was not given . Now it is overbooked and they are asking me to change my date. I also have other contracts that are within that I cannot cancel; the wedding is in 4 months and I cannot find another venue. Both of the old and new owners are saying its neither of their faults and refuse to help in any way. What legal action can I take.

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can sue one or both. If the new owner bought the corporation or LLC, instead of just the assets (e.g. contracts, accounts payable, inventory/equipment, goodwill, intellectual property), then the new owner is bound by all contracts or agreements, and if you can prove that the correct date was in the contract, they either have to honor it or you can seek monetary compensation (such as the cost of changing/switching other dates).

Or even if they did not purchase the corporate assets, if the new owners assumed, or took over, the contracts with clients, they again would be obligated under your contract and you could hold them to the date, if the date is in the agreement.

Even if you can't hold the new owner liable, you may be able to sue the old owner under one or more of the following theories: breach of contract, promissory estoppel, or unjust enrichment.

In a lawsuit, you may be able to get specific performance, or an order that they accomodate you and honor the date; or more likely, monetary compensation--such as additional costs you incur from such a late change.

You almost certainly have a cause of action against one or both of the new or the old owners--it is well worth your while to consult with an attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption