DoI owe on a debt if it wasincurred unethically?

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

DoI owe on a debt if it wasincurred unethically?

I went to trucking school and they lied to me. I paid them about $300 to cover room and board but they did not hold up their end of bargain. Now, 9 years later, they filed a judgement. Then I had to go to another court because they froze my accounts and took my property to satisfy this debt. I do not feel I should have to pay because of unethical business practices. What are my rights?

Asked on October 30, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The time frame for all of this is the part that may save you but a bit hard to understand.  Was the contract between you and the trucking company 9 years ago?   When did it actually end?  Do you have a receipt for the $300?  And when did they take a judgement against you and property?  You need to get help in sorting out the issue here.  I see a few things that could help. One, there may have been a statute problem with the judgement depending on when the contract ended (or breached) and when the lawsuit began and the judgement was taken.  Next, you seem to have satisfied the debt prior to this with the property that was taken (or levied).  Try legal aid or a debt counseling service.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption