Cana judge order that a non-custodial spouse provide their income tax return to their ex-spouse on an annual basis?

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Cana judge order that a non-custodial spouse provide their income tax return to their ex-spouse on an annual basis?

A judge has issued a divorce judgement requiring the non-custodial spouse to provide his W2 to the custodial spouse every year. Is this something that can be challenged?

Asked on January 25, 2011 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I know that it seems as if this is an invasion of some privacy issue that involves you but take my word for it that the language that the judge has included in the order is pretty standard these days in all agreements between parties and orders of the court.  In agreements made between parties the attorneys will make sure that the parties sit down to reevaluate the support issue to determine if there has been a change in income of both parties to necessitate a change in support for the children.  This is generally done around tax time (April 15th).  So you can balk but I would ask your lawyer about it first. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption