Hw to I get my final full pay from a job that I quit?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Hw to I get my final full pay from a job that I quit?

I have been working for a local cafe for 5 weeks with the understanding that I would be on trial until I went on holiday. During holiday, I decided not to go back and notified my employer on a Thursday that I would not be returning the following week. Even though I never signed a contract, they are now refusing to pay me the full 2 weeks salary I had worked. They want to deduct 4 days pay and deduct lunch time pay for the 5 weeks I was there, although I have a pay slip from them before and there was no deduction the 15 minute lunch. Where do I stand in getting my pay?

Asked on October 28, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Idaho


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are entitled to be paid for all hours or time you actually worked; there is no such thing as being "on trial" when you work, at least in terms of pay: if you work, you are paid for it, and the employer may not decide, for example, to deduct four days pay from you. The quickest, most-straightforward way to get this money would be to sue the employer in small claims court for it. If you can prove by a "preponderance of the evidence" ("more likely than not") that you worked more hours or days than you were paid, you can get a court judgment requiring the employer to pay you the additional money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption