Job loss over a dr office not filling paperwork

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Job loss over a dr office not filling paperwork

Ive been fighting with my dr office to fill out my
medical release to start my job. Unfortunately they
are saying my dr is out of the office and are currently
giving me the run around between 2 offices. I cant
even start my job with out these papers. And Im at
risk of loosing the offer they have given me. This is
the 2nd time the dr office has done this. I just lost my
job of 5 years behind papers they never filled out or
faxed in and they had the same excuse Is there
anything I can do? Im at risk of loosing my home
and lights and everything Im so stressed its making
me worse I need my job

Asked on May 29, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately, you have no recourse: you only have recourse if someone violates a duty or obligation to you, but a doctor's officer has no legal duty or obligation to fill out a medical release for you or any other patient. Since they are not required to do this, you can't take legal action against them, either for compensation or to force them to complete the release. 
Once they did this the first time (failed to fill out the paperwork you needed) you should have found a different doctor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption