I’ve paid to have a car fixed but the person is not happy with the work do I have any further obligations towards the repairs?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I’ve paid to have a car fixed but the person is not happy with the work do I have any further obligations towards the repairs?

I was in a car accident. I was at fault, the damage to the other drivers vehicle was not bad so I chose to pay for it out of pocket instead of using insurance. There was no police report and only a verbal agreement between myself and the other driver. I had the vehicle fixed through an auto body repair shop. I have paid for the repairs and the individual has gotten their car back but they are not happy with the work that was done and claim that it wasn’t all fixed. The shop has told me that the work was completed. Do I have any obligations to get this persons car repaired further? Thank You

Asked on October 16, 2016 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If there was an agreement that you would pay $X for the repairs, and/or pay the cost of the repairs at Y repairshop, and you did that, you honored your obligation(s) and should not be liable for anything more: if an accident is settled by an agreement to do something and the at-fault person does that thing, that person has discharged their responsibilities--they are only responsible to do what was agreed to
If the other driver feels the work was done negligently (carelessly), not to professional standards, etc., they may have a claim or cause of action against the shop.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption