Should I hire an attorney if I was charged with disorderly conduct?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I hire an attorney if I was charged with disorderly conduct?

It’s a long story but basically I tried to hop the fence to get into a concert venue. Security saw and caught me and sent me to the police. I got cited with a disorderly conduct and a $130 fine. This is my first criminal offence. Should I pay the fine and be done with it, or hire an attorney and try to get this off my permanent record?

Asked on August 12, 2015 under Criminal Law, Ohio


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

This is certainly not the crime of the century and it's only a $130 fine... so many people simply pay and seek no further representation.  However, many people don't realize that any criminal record can affect some career paths.

Before you enter into any pleas, make sure that you at least consult with an attorney to make sure that you aren't hindering any career options for yourself--which will be more costly than $130 in the future.  For example, if you are in a career field or are thinking about going into a career field that is regulated by any governmental agencies, you need to make sure that your licensing won't be affected by a plea to the offense.  If you are currently in school, you don't want a charge to affect any of your current or future scholarship programs.

If a finding of guilty would affect your career or school goals, then you do want an attorney to assist you with a better deal.  Some jurisdictions will allow you to "earn" a dismissal by the completion of community service hours.  It might take more work than cutting a check for a fine, but it will help you clear your record for your future. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption