What to do about a lack of heat?

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a lack of heat?

It is currently 18 degrees fahrenheit outside. The apartment building I am living in is one in which the heating system is controlled through a series of radiators. A long term resident of the building informed me that the last time the system had been flushed to his knowledge was seven years ago. It is currently 51 degrees in my bedroom with a space heater at maximum hear. Outside of the bedroom it is 43 degrees. While I am willing to put my rent into an escrow account until such issue is addressed I have been looking for a situation in which a breaking of the lease has occurred for quite some time. In my state during this time of the year, I was wondering if such conditions would do so?

Asked on December 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Given the facts that you have written about I suggest that you advise the landlord immediately of the lack of heat issue and the need to remedy such immediately. If such does not happen you need to contact your local health department for an inspection of the unit. If the unit is cited then the heat issue should be remedied quickly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption