It is a crime to point a weapon at someone who is commiting a crime?

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

It is a crime to point a weapon at someone who is commiting a crime?

My daughter has a 2 year-protection order against an ex-boyfriend. I caught him peeking in the windows and trying to gain access to her home. He is much bigger than I so I pulled my weapon in order to stop him. He ran away.

Asked on January 30, 2012 under Criminal Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Depending upon the circumstances of the crime that a person if facing, reasonable force can be used to defend one from the danger. In the situation that you are writing about if you caught your daughter's former boyfriend peering in through the windows where there is a restraining order against him, the mere pulling of a firearm without discharging it does not seem to be a crime by you under the circumstances that you are writing about.

I suggest that you make a police report about the situation you are writing about.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption