It has taken over a year for informal executor to contact me about inheritance of deceased relative

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

It has taken over a year for informal executor to contact me about inheritance of deceased relative

I am aware that my deceased grandmother left an inheritance for my younger brother and myself and though she still has a living

Asked on January 28, 2018 under Estate Planning, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation as it is.  I am not sure what you mean by "informal" executor. You either are or you are not appointed by the Surrogate's Court.  Do not get involved with online companies.  Get legal help from an attorney.  First, a probate in New York is a public record.  If one has been filed go to the Surrogate's Court in the county in which your Grandmother resided at the time of her death and ask to see the file.  Then copy the contents.  Take them to an attorney for a flat fee consultation.  No attoenrys will refuse to give you advice for an hourly rate.  Ask them to review the Will and the file and for a game plan.  You need to know what your options are and the costs for same.  It is an opinion letter. Tell them you only have X to pay and to limit it to an hour.  An estate litigator will be able to point you in the right direction.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption