What to doabout an unreasonable term of probation?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to doabout an unreasonable term of probation?

My father is soon to be released on parole from a DUI Causing Death. His PO has already contacted my family with the restrictions being imposed. Most are pretty run of the mill, however the one that has us worried is that his officer wants him to check in twice a week, prior to noon. The problem is that my dad is being given his old position back where he worked prior to the sentence, which would make him unable to meet his issued times. The PO said, “I don’t care if he doesn’t have a job for 2 years, my job is to keep the streets safe.” Is this normal?

Asked on February 18, 2011 under Criminal Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As a general rule, in most states Probation Officers come under under the authority of the Department of Corrections.  If a person has a problem with their PO, the Corrections Dpeartment will have a process for filing a grievance.  However, before doing so, a parolee would be well-advised to speak with their attorney before they do this (or get an attorney if they don't currently have one). 

The fact is that, challenging a PO that crosses the line such as you have described here, can have serious consequences; it may even make a bad situation worse.  Ask your father's criminal defense lawyer about applying for a change of officers.  Technically, if his PO requires that he call-in at times that your father is unable to do so due to his work schedule, you may appeal the decision with the judge who presided over his trial.  However judges typically rule on the side of the probation officer in these matters, unless it can be demonstrated that the PO's decision places the parole at extreme hardship.  That's why it's best to have an experienced criminal law attorney help with all of this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption