Isa USmarriage certificate important for adjustment of status purposes?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Isa USmarriage certificate important for adjustment of status purposes?

I have been in the US for 6 years on an F1 visa and am now engaged to a U.S citizen. We are getting married this summer and planning to go travel to our home country this summer to get married. Then we will come back to the U.S and apply for adjustment of status for me. Do you think that it is better for my fiance and I to have both a foreign marriage certificate and a US marriage certificate for immigration purposes? For religion purposes we prefer to do our marriage certificate back home but do you think it would be beneficial for us to also have a US certificate?

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Immigration Law, Illinois


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Hello.If you get married abroad in a legal ceremony, you do not need to have another ceremony/registration in the U.S. If you only have a religious ceremony that is not legally registered in that country as a lawful marriage (just ceremonial), then you must marry officially in the US or abroad.

The other issue is your filing after the marriage in the U.S. You must be cautious of your intent to enter the U.S. and filing your Adjustment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption