Is a search warrant invalid if it has the wrong address on it?

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is a search warrant invalid if it has the wrong address on it?

In the first paragraph of the warrant, the officers are given permission to enter and search the premises. However, in this paragraph, the address is incorrect. The warrant gives permission to enter Apartment #123, but the apartment is really #213. Does this mistake make the search warrant illegal?

Asked on November 5, 2010 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The warrant is valid but the search may not be.  Having the wrong address, and particularly having the wrong address along with other incorrect information, might render a search unlawful.  Accordingly, any evidence obtained can be excluded at trial.  However, if the wrong address was entered on the warrant, before trial the defendant could argue that the evidence seized should be excluded, but as long as it was the residence of the person arrested and named in the search warrant, the search may well be upheld.  Without more of the specifics of your case it's hard to say.  Since this is such a procedurally technical area of the law, you really should consult directly with a criminal defense attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption