Is this really tresspassing?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is this really tresspassing?

So I was charged with tresspassing in
our city park. The park is still open to
pedestrians but I drove through the
grass and around a closed gate. There
were no signs posted in this area for no
vehicles, can I still get trespassing?
Technically the park is still open, I had
just brought a vehicle through the

Asked on April 4, 2016 under Criminal Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Somethings don't have to be posted, because they are so obvious. One of those things is that vehicles have to stay on the roadways; another is that if a vehicle gate is closed, then vehicles may not enter. Any court would find that what you did was improper. Arguably, it may have been disorderly conduct, or a form of vandalism (i.e. if your tires in any way tore up the grass) rather than trespassing, but it was clearly a wrongful act and a court would have no problem finding you guilty of either trespass or an equivalent offense.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption