Can acompany charge a monthly service to a credit card that is not in the name of the account holder?

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can acompany charge a monthly service to a credit card that is not in the name of the account holder?

My roommate’s grandma had a satellite service turned on for her and I used my debit card to pay the bill when I was given the money. We did this because they have no bank account. But their service was shut off and now the satellite company won’t stop taking my money. However its not my obligation to pay it; its not my account; it’snot even in my name. I just let them use my card. I wanna sue them. Can they take money from me if the card doesn’t belong to the account holder?

Asked on February 19, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, they can not.  You used the debit card as a credit card, correct?  Ten may I suggest that you go to the bank as soon as you can and void the card you have and get a new one with a new number on it.  Once you stop the card they can not continue to charge on to it. Next, call the satellite company and ask for validation of the debt: the original contract with your name on it is really what you are interested in.  Did you allow them to charge the account every month without knowing it?  If not, then once you receive it write them a letter indicating that they have charged an account improperly and demand that they give you back the money.  Can you sue them?  Yes, as long as you are sure that you did not in some way authorize them to charge the account.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption