Is this company reliable for verbal contract.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is this company reliable for verbal contract.

Oct.7, 2017 I ask to have a building and concrete work done. I gave them 1600.00
down the rest when completed. It is Jan.30,2018 and nothing has been done .
numerous calls and numerous excuses why they can not start. Now I want my money
back and they said they spent it on materials and that they will deliver
materials to my house or wait for him to get his money back, then he will return
deposit. what legal action can I take.

Asked on January 30, 2018 under Business Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue them: an oral (that is the better term than "verbal" for an unwritten contract) contract is enforceable. If they agreed to perform work and you gave them the initial deposit you were supposed to but they have not started the work, they breached or violated their agreement and you can sue them for breach of contract to get your money back. When suing them, sue also for fraud--for lying about what they can or would do. If the company/contractor was an LLC or corporation, you sue the LLC/corporation; otherwise, you sue the owner(s) personally. For the amount of money you describe, suing in small claims court, as your own attoney or "pro se," is  fast, cost-effective option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption