What to do about as possible injury that occurred during my surgery?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about as possible injury that occurred during my surgery?

I had sinus surgery in a hospital. Then 2 days later, I started getting dizzy and nauseous and could not lift my arms or turn my head. I went to the doctor who said I had vertigo and to an orthopedic doctor who took an X-ray and saw swelling in my neck. I then had to be out of work for a week to be on medication. When I asked the operating doctor if something happened while I was under anesthesia like maybe they dropped my head. He told me possibly but he was not there. I am a single parent and being out of work has seriously put me in financial trouble.

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Malpractice Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you believe you suffered injury--with medical costs, loss of wages, disability, etc.--due to bad or negligent (careless) medical care, you can sue the hospital and/or doctors. To recover money, you would have to be able to prove the existence and the cause of the damage. This can be expensive, since it would involve medical expert testimony, tests, etc. On the other hand, a successful medical malpractice lawsuit can result in recovering a great deal of money to compensate you for your injuries. You should consult with a medical malpractice attorney to discuss the situation, the strength and value of any case, what it would cost to pursue it, etc. Note that many such attorneys will provide a free initiail consultation to evaluate a case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption