Is this a conract?

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is this a conract?

Employed College Part time CMC Letter of Agreement for Part – time Employment”This contract is entered into by and between CMC and my name. 28hrs per wk title of job, The college engages said Employee in the capacity of job title from 7-1-08 -6-30-09.Payment shall be the last normal work day of the month at the pay rate of $$ by monthly time sheets. signed by myself, supervisor, and approved by HR.Nothing in this contract should be interepreted as creating expectation of future employment.Fired 5-27-09 and I am trying to collect Junes wages.

Asked on June 2, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It's that last sentence, about no "expectation of future employment," that's the issue here.  It's possible that the Colorado courts interpret that to mean that while the contract guarantees your pay rate in that job title, you're still otherwise an "at will" employee who can be fired without cause or notice.

I'm not a Colorado lawyer.  You need to get the letter -- your original copy, the full text -- and any other facts of the case to him or her, for reliable advice about your rights and your options.  One place to find a qualified attorney is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption