Is there something we can do if an inmate was not taken to the hospital after being stabbed?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there something we can do if an inmate was not taken to the hospital after being stabbed?

My brother in law was stabbed multiple
times yesterday while in a correction
institute. The facility refused to take
him to a hospital. They claim that they
do not have a hospital for inmates but
there is a regular hospital 6 minutes
from the facility.

Asked on June 5, 2016 under Criminal Law, Missouri


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

He can file what is called a 1983 action for a violation of civil rights if the failure to provide him proper medical care exposed him to  or did cause him further injuries.  This usually starts with a complaint.  Your brother-in-law needs to get with a civil rights attorney to assist with the complain process and subsequent litigation, if needed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption