Is there something i can do about being denied a dispute on my prepaid/debit card?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there something i can do about being denied a dispute on my prepaid/debit card?

I recently had fraudulent activity on my prepaid debit card. They took all my money, I was in shock. I filed a dispute and they denied it. All the reason why they denied my claim didn’t make any sense to me. You can see by my history on the card I would never said that much in 1 day and I’ve never been to those stores. Is there anything i can do about this?

Asked on September 18, 2017 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There is no fraud protection on debit cards, the way there is on credit cards: the card issuer cannot help you. (This is a reason to use credit cards instead of debit cards, by the way.) If you know or can find out who stole you money, you can press charges against and/or sue him or her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption