Is there legal recourse if a former employer knowingly kept me from getting hired someplace else?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there legal recourse if a former employer knowingly kept me from getting hired someplace else?

I work as a teacher at a private school and had applied for a position within the public school setting.

The principal who was in charge at that time wrote on the reference that he would not rehire me,

effectively giving me a bad reference to keep me at this school since they needed to hire three more

teachers already. This principal is no longer with the school and I am still working there. My application

with the county public school system is now ineligible because the require a yearly evaluation as proof of my working there from my supervisor, which they refuse to do. Is there any legal course I can take with this as this?

Asked on November 7, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no recourse based on what you write, unfortunately.
1) An employer has no legal obligation to do anything to help you get hired elsewhere.
2) While a person may not state a factual untruth about you (such as that you were charged with theft, when you never were), since doing so may be defamation, anyone is allowed to state an opinion or state their intentions--the law allows this, even if it harms you. So the principal can write that he or she would not rehire you--that is not an untrue fact, but is an opinion or statement of intention.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption