Is there away to get someone else medical records

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there away to get someone else medical records

I was in a car accident on 7/16/2015 my
ex girlfriend got a check from her
insurance provider. Now they are suing
me for the balance of what they paid
her for an insurance claim. She walked
away from the accident no broken bones
and a scratch on her leg

Asked on October 7, 2016 under Personal Injury, South Dakota


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you are represented by an attorney, the attorney can subpoena the medical records.
If you are not represented by an attorney, you would have to go to court and ask the judge to issue a subpoena for the medical records.
If you had auto insurance, refer the matter to your insurance company which will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you.  That attorney will handle the case for you and will subpoena the medical records.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption