Is there anyway legal way of getting something that was left to you in a will but given to someone else

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anyway legal way of getting something that was left to you in a will but given to someone else

An ornament was left to my son by his great-grandmother in her Will, my son’s grandad was the person in charge of the Will, instead of giving my son the ornament he gave it to my son;s dad who wanted it. Is there anything that I can do to get it back for my son?

Asked on October 11, 2019 under Estate Planning, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the executor for the value of the ornament, since he violated the will (which he was bound to follow). You may be able to sue the son's father for the return of the ornament, on the grounds that the executor had no legal authority to give it to him, though this is a more complicated lawsuit procedurally then just suing the executor for money. Unfortunately, a lawsuit is your only option: there is no other way to enforce the terms of the will. You therefore have to decide if it is worth it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption