What can be done about chokingon a foreign object in food that was served in a restaurant?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done about chokingon a foreign object in food that was served in a restaurant?

My husband and I were having appetizer and drinks at a well known casino and was practically choking on a long wire that came from the taquito. We made our waitress awre of the situation but we continued to eat from our appetizer (they never took it from the table. We) then found a wooden stick (not a toothpick) in his fajita (both were fried). I have pictures of the items we found in the food and have witnesses that were eating with us on the same table.

Asked on November 8, 2010 under Personal Injury, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

We you or your husband hurt? Have you suffered injuries requiring medical attention or causing you to miss work or lose wages? If you have, you may have a cause of action and should consult with a personal injury attorney. On the other hand, if you were fortunate enough to not be injured, you have nothing to sue for--even if the restaurant was in the wrong--i.e. would be legally liable--you can only sue to recover compensation for actual injuries or losses, such as medical costs, lost wages, or the pain and suffering of serious injuries. Without injuries or losses, then regardless of fault, you can't recover anything, which makes suing a losing proposition. If you were not injured, you could always contact casino management and see if they will offer you anything, but you probably don't have grounds to sue.

Also be aware that if you were at a Native American casino, I believe you'd have to sue in tribal court anyway, which would increase the cost of even trying to sue (there are fewer tribal lawyers, for example, to choose from, so you have less ability to negotiate price with your attorney).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption