Is there anything I need to be worried about when I file for divorce if I left the state with our 2 kids?

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything I need to be worried about when I file for divorce if I left the state with our 2 kids?

My husband was arrested for Domestic Violence almost 2 years ago. I took the opportunity while he was in jail to move to out of state with our 2 children to live with my family so I could get away from him. Currently, I have our 2 children here with me. I am now looking at finally filing for divorce. Because I took off to another state with the kids without his permission, is there anything I need to be worried about?

Asked on April 7, 2012 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, what you did could be viewed as kidnapping.  Your particular circumstances may not cause it to be so but be prepared.   Please seek legal help here as soon as you can with regard to the issues of custody and support.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption