Is there anything that I can do about a bar owner who physically pushed me out of the bar after I was assaulted by another patron?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything that I can do about a bar owner who physically pushed me out of the bar after I was assaulted by another patron?

I was at a bar this weekend and another patron was buying me drinks and following me around. He asked if he could kiss me and I pointed to my cheek. He kissed my cheek and then kissed me on the mouth. I allowed it to

happen and even kissed back reluctantly. He then proceeded to bite my neck several times and I pushed him away and said,

Asked on October 22, 2018 under Personal Injury, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There is no compensation for emotional distress in a case like this, where there is no serious physical injury occompanying it. (The injuries have to be caused by the person you are suing, so the bites by another person do not count.) The law does not allow compensation for alleged emotional distress without injury since otherwise, it would too easy for *anyone* to claim that another person caused them distress, and there would be no way to control the resulting lawsuits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption