Is there anything I can do so that I don’t have to pay so much for an accident in which I am partly at fault?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything I can do so that I don’t have to pay so much for an accident in which I am partly at fault?

I’m being sued for $1,345 for bumping into a motorcycle that was illegally parked in the road. The motorcycle’s peg broke from falling over. That was it’s only damage. Since his motorcycle is the same height as my car’s trunk, and it was just a few feet away, I didn’t see it while backing up. I didn’t have insurance at the time and because my car was in motion I am at fault. I understand that I should pay some, yet if he wasn’t parked illegally none of this would have happened and I definitely don’t see why the cost is so high for just a peg. His motorcycle was drivable immediately afterwards.

Asked on February 7, 2017 under Accident Law, Mississippi


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can  try to negotiate a reduced amount, and settle the case; however, if the other party rejects that, you will be liable for the entire $1345.  Did the other party show you estimates from other repair shops or any estimate to verify the amount that is being claimed?
Without insurance, you are personally liable and the lawsuit will result in a monetary judgment against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption