Is there anything I can do about a raise that is being withheld?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything I can do about a raise that is being withheld?

My place of employment is giving out fiscal year raises. I am in the qualifying category for the raise, as it is a certain amount of hours you have to accumulate to be qualified. I recently got an email from my supervisor saying that I am being denied this raise because of my attendance, although in a separate email that was sent to the entire company, it states,

Asked on October 26, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Paying out a bonus is a discretionary benefit provided by an employer. Accordingly, it has a great deal of discretion over if and when it is paid to an employee. The fact is that most work relationships are "at will". This means that a company can set the condition of the workplace much as it sees fit. This includes who to pay out a bonus to and why. That is unless refusing a worker a bonus constitutes some form of legally actionable discrimination or violates the terms of an employment contract/union agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption