Is there anything I can do about a defaulted student loan?

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything I can do about a defaulted student loan?

My grandparents informed me they have been receiving calls from a law firm regarding a student loan. I’m currently enrolled in school, squared things away with my other loan company but did not do so with the now defaulted loan. I can’t afford large monthly payments and they are asking for payment in full. I really need help, is there anything I can do as far as deferment, forgiveness or bankrupcty?

Asked on September 22, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Dealing with a defaulted student loan can be tricky. Non-payment of such a loan can lead to collection activity and ultimately a judgment. Trying obtain a cancellation and/or deferrment of a student loan or getting one discharged in bankruptcy can be next to impossible (but not entirely impossible). It takes something along the lines of a disabling injury or disease, or other extreme circumstance. Since payment in full at this point is out of the question, you'll need to work out new payment arrangements.

For further information regarding what, if any options, that you may have here is a site that I think you will find to be of help:


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption